Metro Richmond Visitor Center

 Avg. visitor rating: (117 visitors)
 Exhibits  Reviews  
Address(1)1710 Robin Hood Road


    The center, formerly the Westham Railroad Station, was located one mile west of the Huguenot Bridge and built on the banks of the Kanawha Canal in the early 1900s. The development of the park, known as Travelland, was approved by City Council in 1963. The old station was chosen for the park to compliment the huge C&O locomotive which arrived on the grounds in 1960. The station was moved by the Jaycees to its present location in 1963 with a dedication ceremony in March of 1964.
    The grounds and vehicles in the park are maintained by the City of Richmond Recreation and Parks Department. The grand opening of the old train station as a Visitor Information Center took place on July 1, 1975. The staff, now part of the Metro Richmond Convention and Visitor's Bureau, has been greeting visitors to the area ever since. We hope you enjoy your stay in our area and please come back to visit often.
Exhibits - By Primary role
Fighter - U.S. Navy / Marines 'F' 1922-1962
 Grumman F9F-8 (Cougar) Serial No: 144276  
Other exhibits include
  • The Kanawha #2732 - A Class K4 C&O Locomotive and Tender
  • The Office Car #100 - A Richmond RF&P Railroad company business car
  • Caboose #918
  • 1938 Buffalo Fire Engine


Reviews / Comments by our visitors
 Russ Dolbear
 Chester, Virginia

The Other exhibits were relocated as follows. The Travelland Visitors center is closed The locomotive was moved about 2006 to a location behind the Science Museum of Virginia, formerly Broad Street Station. The Business Car first went to Goshen, Va. past Lexington, to the property of Will Harris, but was sold to Carroll Lee Walker of Walkerton Virginia in August of 2008. It is currently being restored in Tappahannock, VA. and will ultimately be on display at Lestor Manor near Walkerton. The RF&P Caboose #918, built in 1942, was moved to the residence of J. Russ Dolbear who is the first Archivist of the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Historical Society. See their web page for more info. The caboose now resides in Chester, VA. The location or disposition of the Fire Engine is unknown to this author at this time. The Small railroad station that once housed the information center is still at the Travelland park site.
12/03/2008 @ 12:44 [ref: 8545]
 Jeffrey Stone
 Richmond, Virginia

...on display at NAS Patuxent River.
02/08/2001 @ 14:44 [ref: 833]
 Jeffrey Stone
 Richmond, Virginia

The F9F-8 was moved to NAS Patuxent River, MD in 1998. Formerly of VA-44 from NAS Oceana, it has been restored in NATC markings and is again on display.
02/08/2001 @ 14:35 [ref: 832]

Last updated: 02/14/00.

Send corrections/additions by e-mail to